Today, more and more nutrient-rich, gluten free, vegan snacks are hitting the market. Being in natural product stores almost daily, we love to try out the latest and greatest snacks whenever we see them. However, we always revert back to our seaweed snacks (we may be a little partial to seaweed). These simple, pure treats satisfy our salty cravings and offer a variety of nutritional benefits without the guilt and heaviness we sometimes get from other savory snacks like chips and popcorn. Although, we have to admit that there are times when we can appreciate a little (or a lot of) popcorn (seaweed popcorn, anyone?).
According to Toronto-based nutritionist Theresa Albert, author of “Ace Your Health,” “Seaweed is very good for you — it has the full mineral profile.” Along with essential nutrients such as Vitamins A and C, potassium, magnesium, and iodine, “There have been some studies that link consumption of this ‘superfood’ to reducing the risk of breast cancer, decreasing inflammation, preventing obesity, improving fertility — the list goes on,” certified dietitian-nutritionist Lisa Moskovitz, RD, CEO of NY Nutrition Group says. Additionally, “Sea vegetables tout particularly high amounts of iodine, potassium, selenium, iron, and magnesium—unrivaled by land vegetables, as these minerals are especially concentrated in seawater.”
Now that you know the incredible benefits of adding seaweed to your diet, here are our favorite brands:
- A socially conscious, kid-inspired family business
- Sources only the highest quality of seaweed from Korea
- Contributes 10% of their annual net profit to non-profit organizations
- Vegan, Gluten Free, Non-GMO Project Verified
- Flavors: Classic Olive, Toasty Onion, Wasabi, Spicy Chipotle
- Introduced snack-sized seaweed to the United States in 1996
- Premium seaweed from Korea
- All Natural, Vegan, Vegetarian, Low Fat, No MSG, No Sugar Added, No Trans Fat, Non Dairy, No cholesterol, never fried, Gluten Free, Non-GMO Project Verified
- Flavors: Original, Olive Oil, Coconut
- Family owned and operated by Annie Chun and her husband Steve Broad
- Uses high quality Umami seaweed
- Introduced gimMe Healthy Kids to help improve children's nutrition by raising awareness of seaweed as a healthy snack and by donating their products to food banks and school lunch programs
- USDA Organic, Gluten Free, Non-GMO Project Verified
- Flavors: Sea Salt, Sriracha, Teriyaki, Wasabi
- Organic Roasted Seaweed Snack (Teriyaki) - "Winner of Outstanding New Product Finalist at 2013 New York Fancy Food Show"
What’s your favorite seaweed snack?
Leave a comment