No need to skimp on the guacamole. Avocado is a superfruit (yes, a fruit) that has been shown to improve the quality of your skin and your overall health. In a recent article, “The You Docs: Six Reasons to Love Avocados,” Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz tout the benefits of eating avocados.
Here are just six of the many reasons you should love avocados:
1. While avocados are high in fat, most of the fat is monounsaturated, which increases your healthy HDL cholesterol and lowers your triglycerides.
2. The fat in avocados is full of Omega-3s, which moisturize the skin and prevent dryness and flakiness (an important benefit for psoriasis and ezcema sufferers).
3. Avocados contain more potassium than bananas, which helps to regulate blood pressure.
4. Avocados make good foods taste better and actually help your body absorb nutrients in other foods. For example, add 1/2 cup of sliced avocado to a spinach salad, and your body will absorb five times more lutein.
5. Avocados contain compounds that may hinder the growth of, or even kill, some precancerous and malignant cells.
6. Avocados increase your levels of leptin, which decrease your appetite.
Read Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz’s article here:http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/main/7197467.html
Have you experienced the benefits of avocados?
Send us your favorite avocado recipes and we will post them on our blog.