Summer is our favorite time of year – a time to relax, let loose and enjoy time with friends and family outdoors. While enjoying the warmer weather and sunshine, we often neglect our skin health. Here are our five top tips to maintain healthy summer skin this summer while still having fun:
1. Wear Sunscreen (Apply… and reapply!) - Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States. With options including lotions, creams, ointments, gels, wax sticks, and sprays, there is no reason not to apply. We recommend using a teaspoon for the face and about as much as would fill a shot glass for the body. Our go-to natural sunscreen brand is Badger.
2. Moisturize/Exfoliate - Just because the winter weather is gone doesn't mean your skin doesn't need love. Continue to apply your favorite moisturizing cream to avoid dry, itchy, and flaky skin.
3. Hydration – As the temperature heats up, our bodies need even more healthy hydration. Don’t skimp on eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day in order to maintain help maintain the moisture in your skin and body. Add a slice of lemon or your favorite fruit for extra flavor and nutrients.
4. Healthy Diet - To add to the plethora of positive effects of having a healthy diet, your skin is towards the top of the list. Summer is a great time to shop local for delicious fresh fruit and veggies that are the best during the summer months. Choose lean proteins and whole grains whenever possible to incorporate into your daily meals.
5. Layer Up - With the rising mercury, we all prefer to dress down during the summer months, but our skin health can suffer as a result. Cover up and use accessories such as sunglasses, wide-brimmed hats and even umbrellas to ensure a safe and fun outing outdoors.
Leave a comment