Warmer weather is upon us. As the mercury continues to rise and summer approaches, we are all looking forward to a little R&R and maybe some time at the beach. While spending time at the beach can provide a relaxing, rejuvenating experience for all of us, it can also help alleviate uncomfortable skin irritation and flareups for psoriasis and eczema sufferers.
Many psoriasis and eczema sufferers report a noticeable difference in their skin when they spend time at the beach and swim in the ocean. The ocean water is filled with valuable minerals and nutrients that can soothe your skin and slough off dead skin cells. Moreover, beach time means exposure to the beneficial UV rays of the sun (just make sure you slather on all-natural suntan lotion and avoid the being in the sun when its rays are the strongest!).
Here are our top 5 tips for planning a fun, stress-free day at the beach:
1. Always bring a hat or umbrella. The hot sun can be brutal and dangerous when you are over-exposed to its piercing rays. Always pack a hat and/or sun umbrella, so you can enjoy the sights without worrying about unsightly burns.
2. Pack a snack and lots of water. Sitting in the hot sun can quickly dehydrate your body. Always pack plenty of healthy drinks and snacks to stay nourished and energized without leaving your beach towel.
3. Beach shoes are a must. We have burned our feet walking across the super hot sand to and from our beach towel way too many times. Always pack a pair of shoes that you can walk across the sand with (without filling them with hot sand in the process!)…or even wear into the water.
4. Bring a change of clothes. After a day at the beach, we inevitably are covered in sand and salt water, which can be very unpleasant. We like to pack an extra pair of shorts and shirt so the trip is home is always dry, comfortable and sand-free.
5. Leave your work (and worries) behind. We can’t think of a better place to relax and clear our minds than at the beach. Taking the time to swim in the ocean and soak up the sun will benefit your mind and your skin. In order to fully enjoy your time, dedicate the day at the beach to fun and relaxation and leave your work and stress at home.
So tell us: what’s your favorite beach getaway spot?